Customs duties –
Trump extends the customs truce with Beijing by 90 days
The American president grants an additional period to China before a possible increase in customs duties, a few hours before the end of the period of the truce between the two powers.
Donald Trump has extended the customs truce with Xi Jinping and China by 90 days.
AFP
The American president Donald Trump decided to extend the relaxation with Beijing on the front by 90 days customs dutiesreport on Monday from the American media, a few hours before the theoretical end of this truce between the two powers.
The head of state has signed a decree to formalize the extension of this truce, according to the CNBC television channel, specializing in the American economy, and the Wall Street Journal, who cite an anonymous White House official.
The White House did not follow up on AFP requests in the immediate future.
A little earlier, US President Donald Trump said the negotiations were “pretty good”.
“We will see what will happen. (…) The relationship between President XI (Jinping) and I is very good, “also told the head of state to the press from the White House.
Beijing had reported wishing a “positive” outcome in negotiations with Washington.
“We hope that the United States will work with China to respect the important consensus reached during the telephone interview between the two heads of state … and will endeavor to obtain positive results on the basis of equality, respect and mutual benefit,” said the spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Lin Jian, in a press release.
Agreement in Geneva
Engaged in the spring in a commercial confrontation with exorbitant customs duties, Beijing and Washington had ended up concluding a truce of 90 days in May in Geneva.
This agreement has temporarily set the new American customs duties on Chinese products at 30%, while Beijing Taxes on American products amount to 10%.
Several cycles of negotiations involving senior officials on both sides then took place in London then Stockholm, to avoid a new embraces and maintain the truce on the rails, without it being extended beyond August 12, when the American customs duties could return to higher levels.
The American representative in trade, Jamieson Greer, said, after negotiations in Sweden, that Donald Trump would have the “last word” on any prolongation of a pricing truce.
Other senior American officials have shown that they were for. The truce should be prolonged “of an additional 90 days (…) this is my feeling,” said US trade Minister Howard Lutnick last week on Fox Business.
Soy’s foot call
US President Donald Trump seems determined to obtain last -minute dealerships.
On the night of Sunday to Monday, he published a message on his Truth Social platform, calling China to “quadruple its American soy purchases”.
“China is worried about lacking soybeans. Our brilliant farmers produce the best soybeans, “he wrote, saying that this would also make it possible to” significantly reduce “the trade deficit in the United States with China, via a burst of Chinese imports.
He concludes a “thank you president XI”.
Since his return to power in January, US President Donald Trump has implemented, in several waves, new surcharge on products entering the United States. These range from 10 to 50% depending on situations and countries, not to mention customs duties that are in particular sectors (automobile, steel, aluminum, copper).
The Head of State threatens to impose others in the name of the protection of national industry (on pharmaceutical and semiconductors, in particular) or to reprimand countries for political reasons
“Latest news”
Do you want to stay at the top of the info? “24 hours” offers you two meetings a day, not to miss anything of what is happening in your canton, in Switzerland or in the world.
Other newsletters
ATS
Did you find an error? Please report it to us.